If I start at one driver education school, am I allowed to transfer to a different school?

Transfer of training that you’ve accomplished at one licensed driver education school can be transferred to another school, and…


I was enrolled in an out of state driver education course and completed part of or all of my classroom hours but never got a driver license or permit. Do these hours transfer to Texas?

Out of state hours do not transfer to Texas. You will need to enroll into a Texas driver education program to complete the classroom and driving requirements necessary to obtain…


I have a learner’s license from out of state. Does that transfer to Texas?

Yes. Providing State Course is equivalent Please check with DPS for more information on transferring your learner license to Texas.

How long must I hold a Texas learner’s permit before I can get my provisional license?

Normally 6 months but must be 16 Please check with DPS for more information on transferring your learner license to Texas.

If the licensed driver education school that I am attending closes, do I lose credit for all the training I received as well as my money?

No. There are provisions in law to prevent you from losing the training and to recover some or all of the tuition and fees if a licensed driver education school closes…


I’ve heard that my child can complete the classroom phase of driver education at their high school or a licensed driver education school, and afterwards we can transfer to the Parent Taught Program so I can teach the in-car portion. Is that true?

Yes, that can be done but there are requirements:
1. Your child must complete the entire classroom phase at the licensed driver education school or high school…


I lost the form that I received when I graduated from my driver education class, and I need it to get my driver license (or for my insurance company). Who can I contact to get a duplicate?

This is the DE-964 or DE-964E Certificate of Completion. To obtain a duplicate certificate, contact the public school or driver education school that you attended or contact your parent taught driver education course provider, if you completed the course via the Parent Taught Driver Education Program.

I’m a 16 year old who just completed the driver education course. Is it true that I can get a discount on my automobile insurance?

Yes. The issuance or denial of the VOE Form is strictly a local decision, and districts (or schools) are permitted to impose conditions and restrictions on enrollment and attendance as they pertain to driver license eligibility. Neither TDLR nor DPS can alter a VOE decision.

My teen dropped out of high school and has been told that they cannot get a driver license until they are 18. Is that true?

Yes. A Texas law was passed in 1989, requiring persons under 18 to be enrolled and attending school as a condition of licensing that person to operate a motor vehicle…